Goals for our Focus Communities
- Increase awareness of existing quality of life benefits.
- Improve public awareness of needs and solutions addressing basic quality of life needs.
- Improve laws and policies to improve basic quality of life.
- Engage and involve focus communities and allies in achievement of program goals.
- Strengthen organizational practices and sustainability.
- Program replication and expansion including revenue-generating ventures.
HSC’s mission is to empower individuals and communities to create a more just and equitable society by promoting civic engagement, economic fairness, and access to health and human services that address unmet needs.
Our Broad Strategies
We accomplish our mission through three broad strategies: coalition building, capacity building, and innovation.
- Coalition Building: We bring people together to build connection, common purpose, agendas and action strategies. At the center of this work is a partnership with the communities we serve.
- Capacity Building: We develop and disseminate information and tools that build power and knowledge, giving people and communities the capacity and voice to accomplish shared goals.
- Innovation: We support the launch and development of groups, coalitions and initiatives that share and help achieve our vision for a just society.
- Focus Communities: We are committed to making a difference in the lives of underserved, disempowered, and vulnerable people and communities, first in Miami-Dade County, and secondly within the state of Florida: we invite them to partner with us to define and achieve shared goals.
People and organizations who work with us to achieve shared goals for improving the lives of our focus communities and creating a more just and equitable society.
Founded in 1995 as a Miami-based nonprofit 501(c)3 organization, the Human Services Coalition (HSC) identifies and launches innovative strategies to help people and communities thrive and to create a more equitable and caring society.
We work through a network of partner organizations, linking people with financial education, healthcare information, public benefits and educational and economic opportunities.
Our programs promote economic self-sufficiency, participation in civic life and respect across many divides. We inspire people to get involved and prepare them to step up to leadership roles that lead to long-term community transformation.
Our funders include The Children’s Trust, Ford Foundation, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, Susan G. Komen Foundation and Allegany Franciscan Ministries. We also thank our many donors and supporters!
Human Services Coalition (HSC) supports individuals, organizations and communities to create a more just, equitable and caring society.
How We Work
Linked by passion, purpose and logic, the HSC team works every day to build healthy and prosperous communities. We promote civic engagement, match individuals to opportunities, and connect people to the tools, resources and education they need to improve their own and others’ health and prosperity.
We collaborate with community and business leaders, activists, legislators and funding agencies to revitalize participation in civic life.
Whether through advocacy, policy, social advocacy or training, we create innovative solutions for:
- Community and economic development
- Education, health and well-being
- Housing and financial services
- Leadership development and civic engagement
- Public policy change
What We Do
Promote Health & Wealth
We link residents in need of economic stability with the financial services and healthcare programs that can help. Our network of Prosperity Centers offers services including free tax preparation, economic benefits counseling, homeownership counseling, financial coaching and more.
We also help operate a farmers market in Overtown that accepts food stamps and doubles the value of purchases made with food stamps.
We develop leaders with the attitude, focus and skills necessary to create the change our communities need. Programs in our Civic Life Academy include:
- Parent Leadership Training Institute
- Advocacy Corps Training
- Public Allies
- Neighborhood Leadership Program
- Storytelling Initiative
Connect & Inspire
HSC does social networking with a twist — we call it “civic networking.” We connect South Florida residents across sector, background and area of interest, helping them find new opportunities for collaboration. Imagine Miami Changemaker Conferences, held twice a year, are powerful gatherings of nearly 200 people who learn skills for change, deepen their understanding of issues, discover examples of innovative “change-making” at the local level, and make new and inspiring connections. Learn more.
Advocate for Better Communities
HSC is involved in building the Penny Wise movement, a campaign against cuts to social services in Miami-Dade County.
Build Strong Organizations
HSC’s new capacity building center will assist social enterprises to launch, grow, collaborate and increase community impact. HSC supports groups by sharing administrative services; fiscal sponsorship; advocacy training; communications strategies; business practices; leadership development; and networks.
Human Services Coalition
1900 Biscayne Blvd, Ste. 200
Miami, FL 33132